Friday, September 17, 2010

How come my computer won't boot up unless I clear the CMOS?

I built my computer give or take a few 14 months ago. About 2 months ago the power supply died and it wouldnt turn on. Well I installed a new power supply, except very soon every time I turn it on I have to move a pullover on the motherboard, turn it on, turn it off, move the pullover back, and with the sole purpose then will it completely boot up. What is going on? This is a huge anguish. Thank you.

How come my computer won't boot up unless I clear the CMOS?

Sounds like your motherboard took a hit when the power supply died.

The one and only other thing I can have an idea that of, you might need a current cmos battery.

Not promising, but maybe.
Make sure the key and secondary connectors are within securely. Otherwise you may newly have a problem beside the compatibility of the new power supply and your motherboard. I'd RMA the power supply for another model.
Its not a dying battery-operated, your Bios may have be damaged by a surge from the power supply or what not. Try flashing it and if that doesn't work, you should start looking for a clean motherboard..
Make sure that you have used a "power supply" (I assume that you enjoy used this word to refer to the SMPS) is compatible with your motherboard. Most mobos today support both ATX and AT power supplies. Usually a jumber on the motherboard is used to select the giving of supply being used. May be you call for to find and correctly set this jumper.



If the jersey that you move back and forth is the CMOS reset jersey, then enjoy a look in your CMOS. Maybe you enjoy the boot order adjectives screwed up (atleast one of the boot devices must be your hard-disk). Also resetting CMOS to "Fail-Safe" deafults may help.

No comments:

Post a Comment